Saturday, May 10, 2014

Blackburn Flea 2.0

Power-packed light in a small package.

I purchased a Bell Muni bicycle helmet to replace my Limar 575 that was well-worn.
Cracks can be seen on the 575 and it was time to retire it for good..
What I love about the Bell Muni helmet is it's versatility.
There is a slot for a foldable mirror and a Blackburn Flea 2.0 headlight.

My old helmet: the Limar 575

Best touring helmet around: Bell's Muni


But, but, but..

I bought the helmet from Tukang Basikal Fook Sang (one of the best bike shops in the Klang Valley) and asked if they have the Blackburn design Flea headlight. The answer was "No". 
A dealer search ended up with a phone number in Singapore, I called.
"We don't sell to Malaysians," said the dealer.
I asked if I can get it from retailers in Singapore, he said: "No, I can't help you..."

Samo never gives up...

My second chance came with a visit to Nick Chia's shop in East Coast Road, Singapore.
He owns T3 bicycle.
I met an old-timer at the cash register, wasn't helpful and totally clueless.
They had the Flea rear light. And I explored the aisle, I found a couple of Flea 2.0 headlights.
Walla!!! Smells like victory! 
So, my quest to outfit my Bell Muni helmet was over.
I rigged both the front and rear lights and found it to be rather useful.

The Flea 2.0 front light integrates seamlessly on the Muni's visor

Samo's take on the Flea 2.0

I paid SGD$43 (RM111.18) for the Flea 2.0 headlight.
For a little illumination gadget, its very pricey.
It comes with a USB charger and before you get one, make sure its working because sending it back to the dealer overseas can be a real pain.

What's good


  • Compact
  • Fits seamlessly on your Bell Muni helmet
  • Has three modes: Full power, low power and flashing
  • Robust design
  • Lightweight


 What sucks


  • Poor run time on high power
  • Needs its dedicated USB charger to perform charging, lost it, you are screwed
It takes about one hour to bring back the Flea to life. It has a battery life indicator when you switch it on. Green says its good to go, Orange yields half power and Red means you need to charge it as soon as possible.
The Flea can be charged with any power source with USB slots. If you have a power bank, you can charge it on the go.
This light was tested extensively during the Tour of Southern Thailand III. And on a scale of 1-10, I would rate it at 5.

No comments: