Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Rock bottom


 IT'S been 24 hours since we lost Kitto, our seven-year-old female Siberian Husky. Her sudden departure has left a big hole in our lives. 

I've experienced losing a family member, and close friends, but nothing has ever prepared me for the sudden demise of a pet dog, one which is very close to the family and a constant companion. I'm so used to having a pair of dogs waiting for me at the gate, now it's only one and the loss of his companion is slowly sinking in.
"Kitto's gone, boy...", I said to Bandit. He gazes into the distance, perhaps waiting for Kitto to come back home. The harsh reality is that things are no longer the same.

For me, it was rock bottom. I cleared off some of Kitto's belongings. Her crate was moved to storage. Some of her items were set aside. The lair that she used to sleep in is now vacant. It's hard to get the images out of my mind. What made me feel even sad is the fact that Kitto is still young. Her rapidly deteriorating health and death were sudden. I was looking forward to at least 10 - 12 years of having this pack together. This was my experience with my first pack of Siberian Huskies. Both lived to 12 and 13 respectively. At that age, every day, week, and month is an added bonus and when it comes to death at old age, it was acceptable. Kitto was around 7 years of age and I felt she was gone way too soon. With that in mind, I sank into further despair. I had Michelle, my wife to talk about this, something to air off my chest. Given the best of what we can to Kitto, I have come to terms that she was gone. Her mild temperament and constant companionship are irreplaceable. It will take time to suck it all up and move on...

I will utilize my time with Bandit to fulfilling my responsibilities, take good care of him, and include him in my outdoor pursuit. The older pack was lucky enough to go on hikes and a trip to the beach. And this is something that I owe my boy. Together, we will overcome our loss and heal the wound.

No comments: