Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sometimes, I take things for granted...

That noisy bird!
There was a loud squawk and high up in the sky, I noticed a Cockatoo making an approach.
It landed on a tree branch and perched there.
The first thing that came to mind was: "Aiya, who's escaped pet is this???"
I took aim and snapped a few shots of the bird.
My flash went off and I also snapped a couple of shots with available light. The Cockatoo was perched and it went on squawking. You can hear it singing from miles away.

The Yellow-crested Cockatoo

The best I could capture: cropped with some lighting adjustments
 An uncommon bird
Later, I made reference to this bird through Allen Jeyarajasingam's book: Birds of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. 
It turned out that the Yellow-crested Cockatoo is our native bird. Its population is on the decline and seeing as it is, I felt really privileged to have captured it on my camera.  
And best of all, this bird was found outside my house! 

No comments: