Monday, July 2, 2012

The Yellow-vented bulbul

Projek photo: Phase II
I have always wanted to dabble into nature photography.
A couple of years back, before getting into capturing insects with my macro lenses, I met a gentleman in Taman Negara in Merapoh, Pahang.
He was lugging a super telephoto lens around, shooting birds.
I became inspired with his blog and corresponded with him on how to start out capturing images of birds.


Canon EF400mm F5.6L
There's a wealth of resources on the internet about birding.
And when it comes to value for money -- especially among beginners: the Canon EF400mm F5.6L lens came highly recommended.
Its also one of the most affordable super telephoto lenses around that can yield some really good results wide-open.
I was encouraged to pick up this lens and after my tax returns, I had ample funds to embark on bird photography.


A decent beginner's lens: the EF400mm F5.6L
Always a first time..
I've added a full-frame system to my keeps for added versatility.
The EOS5DmkIII would serve primarily as my bug capture tool.
With that, I still have the advantage of a 1.6x crop factor on my Canon EOS7D.
This is by far, one of the most versatile APS-C system I've ever used.
My choice is by far, still the EOS7D for its ease of use and features.
Now, complemented with the EF400mm F5.6L, I can concentrate on learning to capture birds.
So, the first time I brought this lens out was at the Putrajaya Wetlands.
There are a lot of birds here and one of the capture that yielded some really good results were from a walkabout near the waterline.
I captured a Yellow-vented bulbul, which I later learned that -- is a common bird.
Back at home, I tweaked the pictures a little bit.
The EF400mm F5.6L gave some really good shots. 


Gallery






A long way to go.. 
I am very happy with the results.
The bulbul will go into my record of birds capture on the EF400mm 5.6L and my EOS7D.
Between cycling my folding bike, now, I have to divide my time to capture bugs and birds and I am sure that there are ample locations to pick and choose from...

No comments: