Sunday, July 30, 2017

Easton Axis Traditional Carbon Arrows

Shooting the Easton Axis Traditional Carbon Arrows with my Hoyt Satori

If you shoot modern trad bows...

I first came to learn about the Easton Axis traditional carbon arrows two years ago. It was mainly through websites and the social media channel.
While the product may not be new, some Malaysian archers have already been using this carbon arrows.
I found it as an excellent match for my Hoyt hunting recurve bows. While searching for this particular product, I came across a series of disappointments.
The pro-shops here in the Klang Valley don't sell them. Some of these so-called pro-staff I had encountered have not even heard of such a product.
Worse still, some shops wanted to charge RM1,200 for a dozen. The excuse: not enough quantity for a single order.
So, fast-forward to the 2016 Thailand Princess Cup, a trip to the Thai Archery store in the outskirts of Bangkok solved the problem.
I bought a dozen, have it built to my liking and shot them at my range in Subang Jaya.
The bow: a Hoyt Tiburon, arrow spine, size 500 and bow limbs were rated at 35lbs. 
Straight out of the box, the Axis is an excellent shaft. It was meant primarily for hunting and its hidden insert technology is meant for deeper penetration onto a game.

Shooting off the shelf...

Most of the local archers I know would need some sort of tool to help them reduce the odds on the shooting line. Hence, the arrow rest and plunger.
My rig, on the other hand, is totally minimalist. Just a rug rest and a side plate. And the Axis, which is built with a 4-inch feather vane, does its job.
Shooting off the shelf means more chances of making mistakes in a competition. But, my primary usage of the bow, is to put meat on the dining table. So, my take on this is very different from the competitive archer. 
Although I have taken the Axis to numerous local tournaments, learning to shoot well on a trad bow is a humbling experience.

Landing a clean shot with the Axis on the Hoyt Satori
For what it's worth...

The Axis is not for everyone. If you shoot a target recurve bow, it looks totally out of place. Those who love Western trad bows like the longbow, single-piece and wooden takedown recurve would appreciate this carbon shaft.
It's tough and it could take a real beating before it gets shot to bits. I have broken one and lost another. So far, no complaints. If you are one of those who is willing to spend some money for quality goods, the Axis will be there for you, yielding plenty of fun!

No comments: