Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Sincerity...

The phone call... 

Just days before heading to Japan, my cellphone rang. The caller identity belonged to someone I knew from an old workplace.
"Hey, how are you?" he asked. 
"Fine," I said.
"I just called to tell you that my car club is organizing a ride in the East Coast for your late friend.
"We are leaving tonight," he continued.
"Wah, very thoughtful of you to inform me. At the last-minute," I replied.
"Ah, I just thought of you, our mutual friend is the reason why I called," he said. 
"Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts," I added.
"Yeah, you are lucky I actually remembered you...," he concluded.

My late buddy Shaharul on the far left...
The drive...

The person honored in this car jamboree was a close friend of mine, Shaharul Zain who passed away in April this year.
I knew him since Secondary school and kept in touch until he started working. 
I attended his wedding and since he had a divorce, the guy kept his distance. 
I respect people's need for space to heal.
Moving forward, I was having beers with my buddy Jeb and Coach Tan. A WhatsApp message came to inform the passing of Shaharul. 
We finished up our beers, went to a mosque in Bangsar where his last rites were performed and made it just in time before the crowd dispersed for his burial at the Kiara Muslim cemetery.
There at the burial ground, it started pouring. It was poorly-lit and I can see the last scoop of earth being poured onto the grave of my old friend.
Tears rolled down my face as that was the last time I saw my buddy being committed to the ground.
I went up to his father, Col (RTD) K.N. Zain to offer him my sympathies and deepest condolences.

He was calm and composed. Later in the night, a thanksgiving prayer was held at the late Shaharul parent's home near Lucky Gardens, Bangsar. 
Jeb and I went there to pay our respects to Shaharul's Mom and Dad.
"Hello Uncle," I introduced myself.
"Yes, I remember you. How have you been?," asked the Colonel.
"Fine, Sir," I replied.
The Colonel shared with me about Shaharul's final days.
It seems that he was doing very well and was at the peak of his career with the Malaysian Investment Bond.
I wished both parents well and went on. That was many months ago.

The caller...

The guy who rang me up tried to sell some land to the Colonel. He was a "close family friend".
Truth to be told, some guy who calls you after 13 years and informed you about a drive that is taking place on that very same day - is someone that is the least sincere.
The guy asked if I am employed. I said: "No".
"Hey, I have a website, it's a non-profit thing, you can write to "stay relevant"," he pitched.
"Nah, thank you very much. I will rather be irrelevant these days," I told the guy.

The business...

I spent nearly half my life in the media scene. Started as a photographer, changed my career as a reporter and eventually rose up the ranks to a Deputy Editor and ended my gig as a Producer.
Someone I knew said I will never make it far. Why? I don't "kiss ass".
I am a non-conformist and had never been in the "mainstream". For most of my career as a reporter, I was very fortunate to have some really good mentors.
Back in the newsroom, there were good Editors and a few great Editors.
The rest? Well, the majority of them are just dead weight. Great Editors, they take the trouble to teach you. Good ones, well, they just want to get things done and over with. And some, are just plain assholes.
The connection made with the phone call was the days in the newsroom. The guy who went for the drive was somebody who is still trying to "stay relevant". Well, good luck!







No comments: