Monday, July 11, 2022

Remembering Kitto


 Kitto came into our lives four years ago when we fostered two rescued Siberian Huskies. 
She was a pure white, which is a rare marking for the breed and I immediately fell in love with her mild temperament. After a month of house-breaking, the fostered dogs are as good as our family members.

Last Friday, I noticed that she was not eating and was rather weak from malnutrition. I took her to the vet and have her examined. She checked out alright and was given medication for her lack of appetite. But in the following 48 hours, her health had taken a turn for the worse. Kitto was whining in pain. We had to endure the long holiday weekend and as soon as I can get a vet appointment, I scheduled her for a follow-up. This time, the vet diagnosed pyometra, an infection of her reproduction organs. She picked this up during her last heat and her uterus was inflamed. The swelling caused massive discomfort in her stomach, hence the lack of appetite. We did whatever we can to give her comfort.

After two consecutive blood tests, her odds are not in favour of recovery with an aggressive surgery to remove the infected organs. Nevertheless, I made the call. It's giving her a fighting chance rather than putting her to sleep. We don't give up at all. But fate has put it in a way, Kitto had a short life. I received a phone call while walking Bandit, our Sibe, and was told of her passing. My immediate thought was to give her a burial next to Sir Naughty and Dame Queenie, our previous pack.

Kitto's passing has left a massive void in our lives. I felt sad that her life was cut short due to an illness we didn't see coming. In her existence, she had given love without bounds. Kitto was always there waiting for us to come home. I spent a lot of time with her, taking both dogs for their walks. In the four years that we had Kitto, we gave her care and love she had never received as a pup. It's heartbreaking to see a beloved pet's rapidly declining health and we did everything we could to alleviate the suffering and pain. Kitto will always be remembered as one of our favourite pooch along with Sir Naughty and Dame Queenie.

Now that we are left with Bandit, my duty is to dedicate my time and love to him, as we still have years ahead of us. So, Kitto, say hello to Naughty and Queenie in Doggahalla. We will see you soon.

No comments: