Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cheong Ngie Wah (1936 - 2009)


I received a phonecall on late Saturday evening informing me about the inevitable.
My dad, Cheong Ngie Wah had passed away at the age of 73.
The only surviving member of the clan, my aunt Lorraine was shocked and confused.
My dad died in his sleep on early Saturday morning after a long bout with diabetes, hypertension and a bad heart.
As long as I can recall, my old man was a person who had his own idea of life and how things should be.
Eearlier, he lost his partner of 20 years and was left in the lurch.
I offered my home as his refuge, but he had declined.
Instead, he chose to live his remaining days on his own.
After a few failed attempts to resettle, dad finally signed up with a retirement home.
There, everything was taken care of.
A simple prayer ceremony was conducted for him followed by a cremation.
His ashes was scattered over a hilltop area.
During his final days, my old man said he didn't want to trouble anyone in his family.
His passing was a great loss to me personally.
I can say that during the days when I was out on a limb, my father gave me some very sound advice.
He told me to be proud of my craft and never to depend on other people.
This became my principle in which many of my personal achievements were met.
For what he is, God was with him during his final moments.
My dad didn't suffer as he passed away peacefully.
Travel well my father, you will be missed and God bless you.

No comments: