Monday, October 25, 2010

Parts upgrade for my Dahon Speed P8

Thudbuster suspension seat post

MKS EZY pedals

Its a common thing that after a long ride, the parts on your bike are worn out.
This is wear and tear.
I checked out my Suntour pedals and parts of its plastic textured grips are coming off.
This means, a long-term solution is needed.
After researching a bit, I found that the MKS pedals are the only good choices for folding bikes like my Dahon Speed P8.
Another piece of accessory that would make the ride even comfier is the thudbuster seatpost.
This came highly recommended and one of few on-line companies that are willing to ship outside the USA is Thorusa.
Prices for the components are pretty decent, but the cane creek thudbuster seat posts are only available in silver for folding bikes...

3 comments:

UNITEDisLIFE said...

Hi boss,
I'd think twice about the EZYs. They're curved up on one side and curved down on the other. You'd have to look twice to see which side is facing up and could be a bother after a while eh. Can try looking out for the EZY Promenade instead.

Gugu_Gaga said...

Hi Sam, I have the same P8 and been doing some road cycling. I am considering changing the Big Apple tyre to sleek maybe a 1.20 tyre to increase speed and also improve slope climbing.

I read from other forum and I get mixed comments. Hope can get your opinion on this.

Thanks.

samo said...

Dude,

There is a saying that goes: "A bicycle is as good as its rider.."

I don't think the issue here is your Speed P8. Changing slick tires may give it less surface resistance and I know of people who are riding their Speed with Kojak tires. Still, the performance is marginal..

As for climbing, I would love to share with you that since I bought the bike some 5 years ago, it hardly had any parts upgrade and modification and yet, I've done some rides with elevations up to 1,035metres without a hitch on the 8-speed drivetrain with load added to the bike. Now, I am pretty heavy and the bike was able to take my weight and with 5,000km clocked-in on the Speed P8, I'd say that you need to be in a great shape and have some confidence in going the distance...

Lastly, never be afraid of hills.. Its the fastest and best way to train for strength and stamina...

Sam