Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Beman centreshot


Something new from Beman

Some would know that Beman archery manufactures carbon arrows. They are well-known for the ICS Hunter and Carbon Hunter shafts that are considered as robust and hardy.
I have been using the Beman hunting shafts with decent results.
Back in 2016, Beman announced the introduction of the Centreshot, a carbon shaft meant for traditional archers.
It features a cedar wood grain finish and is available in four sizes (340, 400, 500 and 600 grains).

The third-world dilemma...

Back here in Malaysia, most archery pro shops would either sell you aluminium or carbon shafts meant for target archery.
Although Bemans are available here, dealers who sell the Centreshot is virtually non-existent.
I asked around a couple of pro-shops and was turned away. There was no hope.
So, to overcome the issue of availability, I sought help from my wife Michelle, who took a trip to Texas sometime in January.
We ordered two dozens of the Beman centreshot (size 500) from 3Rivers Archery, a well-known retailer of traditional and hunting bows and arrows.

The Centreshot shafts, direct from Indiana, the USA
Picking up the arrows in KLIA's Postal facility
Michelle actually missed the delivery of the arrows. We waited at least another month before the arrows arrived in Malaysia via Express Mail Service from Texas, USA.
But, nothing will go down easy on us as we tracked the package to the KLIA Customs clearing centre for postal packages.

As soon as the USPS tracking service had indicated that the package was "Held at Customs", we made a beeline to KLIA to claim it.
I wasted no time to make the trip to the facility to proceed with the Customs clearance. Once the tracking number was submitted, I took it over to the Customs officer for declaration.
I was rather delighted to find out that there was no duty for carbon arrows. Only a 6% GST and handling payment were needed to clear the Beman Centreshot out of the holding facility.

Feather vanes for the centreshot

Fletching process
 Quality, fit and finish...

I must say that I am pretty impressed with the overall built of the Beman Centreshot. Out of the box, its straightness was rated at -+.003", which is very decent. Since I had the size 500 shafts, it was meant for my #35lb Hoyt Tiburon takedown recurve bow. I have also set aside a set for Michelle's Samick Sage takedown recurve bow. Her bow's draw weight was rated at #35lbs.
Since my draw length is 29", I built the Centreshot as uncut arrows. The shafts were complemented by feather vanes and to get things going, I built about nine arrows.

Testing the Beman Centreshot

Getting some good results from the new shafts
Summary...

I am pretty pleased with the overall quality of the Beman arrows. It's quite affordable compared to the Gold Tip Traditional and Eastin Axis Traditional shafts. These are arrows that I can use for my practise rounds at the range. Just as I am done with testing the new arrows, I found that a dealer in Malacca is selling the Centreshot. So, there's no more depending on overseas online shop and pay extra for frieght and GST to the Customs. You can call Mike or Raymond at Excella Archery (019-624 9433) or visit their Facebook page for inquiries on the Beman shafts. The pro-shop in Alor Gajah is full-stocked with Beman products...


(Here's a full review of the Beman Centreshot on Samo's Range Day channel on YouTube)

No comments: