Thursday, January 17, 2013

24-hours in Singapore: Part 1

Obligations..

I haven't been to Singapore for over a year.
Having said that, I don't really missed anything.
Recently, I felt that it was time to pay a visit to a couple of old friends.
Partly, to hand them my book and re-connect with my contacts.

A simple plan

I booked a flight via Jetstar Airways. 
Boarded their flight to Singapore from Sepang before and felt that this is one of the best budget airlines around.
A return flight costs RM167.96 inclusive of taxes.
This is by far, cheaper than taking a bus or train. Driving is out of the question due to time constraints.
But the killer here is the hotel.
I didn't want to bother my friends and booked a room at the Ibis hotel in Bencoolen road.
For a night, it costs RM497.75.
This is by far, the costliest traveler's hotel I've stayed in.
As for the schedule, I've planned to meet up with three people.


Flying over Muar in Johor

Minimalist: My pack

Over the Southernmost tip of Asia: Tg Piai in Pontian, Johor
Drive, Park & Fly

Michelle, my wife had suggested a drive to the KLIA carpark, leave the car overnight and pick it up the next day.
A return trip on a cab would cost more than RM100.
So, the parking tip was rather sound.
I drove over to the KLIA,parked and checked-in at the row to board my flight.
Boarding was at 07:50am, so, there's plenty time to burn.
KLIA as it seems, is a boring place. Nothing left to do, but wait.
When the boarding call was made, I made my way to the pre-booked seat. Very cramped and just nice for a short-haul.
When the plane took off, I realised that after 15-minutes, it was cruising over Muar in Johor.
I watched as the vessel had crossed Tanjung Piai, the Southernmost tip of Asia and made its landing approach at Changi Airport at the eastern side of the island republic.
Before the trip, Michelle had warned me about the 7kg hand carry baggage limit. 
Seems that everyone was hauling shitloads of stuff and I was the one who traveled lean.

Moving on with the mission...

My first destination was Ngee Ann city.
Went to the Takashimaya shopping mall and helped myself to some yakitori.
Later, I took the train to City Hall MRT station and tried to look for the New Balance concept store. My attempts were futile.
Took a walk to Waterloo street where Camper's Corner is located and found my old friend Calvin Tay.
I gave him a copy of the Food Trail book which I also autographed and was rewarded with some Belgian beers.
The plan was to meet Stanley Tan, a fellow Malaysian and link up with Dr Peter Chua, an old friend of mine..

Peter and my book

Chimay, a fine Belgian Beer 
With Sesh (left) and Stanley (right)

No comments: