Sunday, February 8, 2009

Seikos are the way to go..


Grandma bought me my first Seiko wristwatch when I was 10 years old. It was the first manual-winding timepiece in my keepsake and frankly, the watch kind of a disappointment. Its
hour and minute dial kept falling apart and grandma had brought it for repair so many times, it was not worth the
amount it was paid.My second Seiko was a digital watch. This was back in 1982 and sadly, the watch was stolen. I watched from a
distance as a thief went through my pocket when I played soccer with my friends. Then, for a long period of time, the Seikos were never heard of. Not until five years ago when I revived my
interest on Japan's number one watchmaker.I bought my first diver's watch through Ebay. It was a Seiko 'Black Monster' and was shipped to Malacca from the UK. Subsequently, the 'Orange Monster' followed suit.Later, I received a Titanium Samurai diver's watch and scored a Seiko 5 40th anniversary diver's watch from a bro. Seikos, well, depending on the model and movement, are affordable and unpretentious.As a matter of fact, you don't have to sell your left kidney to get one. And best of all, its truly and Asian made timepiece.Recently, I scored a Seiko 5 sports watch at RM350. Pricing wise, its cheaper than any G-shock digital watches and frankly, its military styling kinda nailed it.To fund the purchase, I sold some knives. I particularly love the robust 7S36 movement on the watch that tells good time and one of the advantages of an automatic movement is that you don't have to waste money on batteries. This means - I can stash the watch in my drawer and when I need to wear it, I just give it a coupla shakes and its good to go!

No comments: