Sunday, April 15, 2012

A slow-shutter day

Standby, standby, standby...
The Powershot G1X may be one flawed camera.
But if you understand its shortcomings, you will get some really good shots from it.
Its large sensor can produced some really interesting photos.
I lugged this camera to Templer's Park with the intention of snapping some water flow shots from its streams.
The objective is to hike up to the waterfall and set up a shot using a tripod to steady the frame with shutter speed settings down to 60sec.


My first shot: A subject at the falls, notice the ghosting due to movement..
Built-in ND filter...
Like its predecessor, the G1X comes with an built-in Neutral Density filter. When you set it, the images would not be overexposed during long exposure shots.
The LCD viewing panel helped in framing the shot, but this will drain the camera's battery really fast.
To get a soft effect on the water flow, I set the camera to capture with Shutter Priority (TV-mode) and toggled down the shutter speed to 4, 10, 15 and 30 seconds.
The bracketed shots revealed the water movement in a very soothing manner. I loved the effect.


Angles
I should have brought my travel tripod instead of my Slik Mini-Pro tabletop tripod.
What I shot was from a low angle using a remote shutter release trigger.
It would have been interesting to see the falls from eye-level. Maybe next time, I'll bring my large tripod.


Gallery




No comments: