Saturday, May 10, 2014

Blackburn Super Flea headlight

A discovery by chance..

Bell's Super Flea front headlight
I rode in from Songkhla to Hat Yai and the first thing we did, was check out a bicycle shop in the downtown area.
We ended up at a Vespa dealership that also sells bikes.
Everyone was fixated on the stuff that was sold in this shop.
While the rest were oogling a the gear there, I saw something familiar.
There was a Blackburn Flea 2.0 Solar headlight and a Super Flea.
It carries a pricetag of 1,050 baht (RM103.90) and even without a discount, it was an offer I can't refuse.
While the guys I rode in with did not understand this, I knew that it was an offer I could not refuse and I would regret it when I get back to KL without the loot.

A risk worth taking..

I knew I couldn't find this in KL and the idea of going to Singapore really threw me off.
So, I grabbed both the Solar Flea and the Super Flea.
And the good news is: It can be integrated to my Bell Muni Helmet.
This gives the Muni the extra boost for riding in any lighting conditions.
On a full charge, this beast of a front light spits out 120 lumens of output.
I tested it during a ride from Subang Jaya to KL and on half the power output, this light can really burn a hole in the night.
So, having taken the risk of getting it in Thailand for RM103.90, it paid off.
The Super Flea retails at USD44.99 (RM145.95), so, go figure it out because its retail price without freight, insurance and tax.

What's good


  • Solid beam shape
  • Triple mode: High, Low and Flashing
  • Robust design
  • Integrates with Bell's Muni Helmet
What sucks

  • Average battery life
  • Needs to be charged with a proprietary charging USB stick
Other than two minor grouses, I don't have much to complain about the Super Flea. Out of the box, it performs flawlessly. This would be my expedition-standard headlight on my Bell Muni Helmet.

No comments: