Wednesday, June 13, 2012

El Capitan's new bike

Questions, questions, questions...
Our cycling team Captain Kevin Tan was doing some serious research on a folding bike.
Then, he came up to me and popped the ultimate question: "Eh Sam, Brompton bicycles good ah?"
I told him that he should give it a try.
There is a bike shop in Damansara Perdana that sells them.
A couple of days later, he came back to me and asked for a second-opinion.
I told him that what he needed, was a folding road bike.
Hence, the Tern Verge X-20.
For starters, Kevin stood at 6' and is pretty heavy.
He also tried the Brommie and didn't quite like the way it handled.
And to get a comparison, he also tried the new HASA Minimax Titanium which he said was really flimsy.

The final say 
So, I made some arrangement with the K2 Asia rep. 
I told him that I am bringing a VVIP customer to the Tern Boutique and concept store in Bandar Botanic, Klang, which is damn fucking far and a pure waste of petrol.
Now, I emailed the guy in the morning and when I reached the store, I was surprised to find Ben, the awesome mechanic from Rodalink Putrajaya tuning the bike.
I watched as he tweaked the machine.
Since the Verge X-20 came without pedals, he mounted a pair of cheapo one on the bike for the tryout.
I didn't expect Kevin to commit at all.

Meticulous: Kevin and Ben fitting the bike
 The Verge X-20 has a retail price of RM10,060, making it one of the most expensive folding bikes around.
I gave it a try and it handles really well. 
Frame lock-up was really solid and the ride was also very smooth.
 It takes some getting used to when it comes to shifting with the double-tap system.
After taking it out for a spin, Kevin did the unthinkable. 
He paid for the bike and arranged to have it sent to Rodalink in Sri Hartamas.
There are fewer than five people in Malaysia who owns the Verge X-20, now, Kevin is one of them..

Kevin, sharing his thoughts on the bike

Sold! Kevin and his new ride
 The growing number of Tern owners in The Star
Other than Ah Wai Kor and Nice Guy Eddie, Kevin is now the new Tern bicycle owner.
I managed to convince them, well, despite the fact that Ah Wai Kor had crashed his bike and smashed his face - to get a Tern bike.
Now, the irony of it all is the fact that I don't even own a Tern. Hahahahah!!!!
Having said that, I do see the trend picking up as a few of my co-workers are considering Tern as their first folding bike..

No comments: