Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Southwest to Tg Sepat - Part 3

A different perspective on Tg Sepat
 We've rode to Tg Sepat on many occasions and I must say that staying a night in this village is a memorable experience.
After getting some rest, Michelle and I took down the bikes and rode around the town square.
We went to a restaurant for dinner and since there are a quite a number of seafood, we settled for a place which is located at the edge of the town.
So, we landed at Hock Heng Huat restaurant.
The dishes here were standard. We had Horr Chien, Fishball soup which was just below average and the curried shark fillet.
Dinner came to RM56 including a bottle of beer.

Cruising in Tg Sepat...
Beers
 After a fill, we rode towards another section of the village.
I had my Manfrotto light tripod and my Canon Powershot G1X for a landscape photography tryout.
So, we ended up at a fisherman's jetty and I found a decent place to set up my camera and tripod.
The night was really windy with waves pounding the breakwater.
And as usual, there were scores of local tourists from all over the country who were eating at two of the most popular makan places in the village.
When I was done, we rode back to the Homestay to take a break...

At the breakwater

Tg Sepat's famous landmark: the Lover's Bridge
 Late night in Tg Sepat
We tried to get some shut-eye, but a house across the street from our Homestay was blaring out music at full-blast.
Not satisfied with the below-average quality dinner, I suggested to Michelle about taking a walk around the village's town square.
She agreed and we were on our way - cruising down the streets of Tg Sepat.
The first thing I noticed about the music was a wooden house with speakers stacked to its roof. Man, the dude who owns this sound system is serious about his hobby!
And there we were - taking a leisurely stroll.
We found a nice Malay cafe serving good burger and the one thing that caught my attention was the sight of a woman frying char koay teow. 
There's not much activity in this village except for people chilling out in coffee shops.
And that's exactly what we did.
I found another char koay teow stall at Lorong 4 and wasted no time in ordering a cup of coffee and a plate of fried noodles.
While I snapped some shot, there was a commotion in the background. 
Apparently, an old-timer was kicking a fuss. I didn't take his picture and way I see it, what the fuck was his problem?
Anyway, I acted oblivious to his behavior and went on with my coffee. 
The char koay teow here is pretty decent. It costs RM3.50 per plate and I can see that everyone was enjoying themselves.

Enjoying a plate of char koay teow with a nice cuppa

Sleepy hollow: Tg Sepat at night
 Later, we walked down a couple of rows and found 'Vietnam Coffee' at a shop whose neighbour is the famous Tg Sepat 'Fish Kut Teh'.
There was a nice long bench and table where we sat and as we chilled out there, I ordered a small plate of char koay teow.
A lady came by to take our drinks order and we had iced Vietnam coffee.
This costs RM3 a glass and is damn sweet.
The shop owner came by and I ordered a glass of iced coffee black.
He was puzzled as to why we don't want excessive sugar.
"Eh, very bitter la!," he said.
I told him that it was okay. 
Then, I asked him about his famous neighbor and if there is anyone in town that can rival his Fish Kut Teh.
"Ah, you must try my cousin's place next to the Chinese temple down the road.." 
On the char koay teow, Michelle loved the first stall.
My choice was the second stall. 
Why? Raw cockles! Springy and crunchy like clam sashimi! And best of all, it costs RM3 for a single serving.

We need Vietnam coffee!

Char koay teow done right: Stall no 2 rocks!
 We chilled out at the shop till we finished the coffee and walked back to the Homestay.
By this time of the day, the activity in town had halted.
I noticed that the music lover too had switched off this sound system.
That said, time to catch some sleep for the ride back the next day...

No comments: