Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Ipoh solo recce ride part 1

The ETS arriving in Ipoh after a two-hour journey from KL

Me, at the Ipoh Central train station

My sar hor fun breakfast

Monday was my off day and it was the only time I had to conduct a reconnaissance ride around Ipoh city before leading a folding bike ride around there on Saturday.
Proir to this, I met Zakaria, a fellow Dahon folding bike rider who told me about the Ipoh heritage trail.
I chanced upon a set of maps at Changi Airport's budget terminal last week and used this as a guide.
With little expectation, I took an ETS train ride to Ipoh that costs about RM60 for a return trip. 
Parking at the KL Sentral costs a bomb and at RM30 a day, the only fall back is safety and proximity to the train station.
Since I don't want to lead a blind ride of Ipoh with the reprecussions of getting mass-fucked by a group of riders, the best course of action is to conduct a recce of the entire route.
With Google map as one of my primary resources and my trusty bike-mounted Garmin Oregon 300 mapping GPS, I took it upon myself to check out several places of interest in this city.
The first thing that greeted my arrival in Ipoh was rain.
It poured all the way and the road was already soggy and busy with its Monday morning traffic.
From the train station, I made my way to the city centre via Jalan Seenivasagam towards Jalan Laksamana where some of the old Chinese buildings are located.
There, I found a nice and cosy corner coffee shop where I had my breakfast.
Sar Hor Fun with shrimps and chicken slices and a glass of iced Kopi-O came to RM6.40.
From Bandar Timah, I made my way to other sections of the city..

continued..

No comments: