Sunday, January 10, 2010

Macromania!

My finest work to date: a dragonfly

This cricket is as small as a 20sen coin


A weaver ant photographed at my backyard...

I had a field day snapping close-up shots of bugs on a recce trip to the Batu Dam with my buddy Stanley.
We were there to scout the place for a camp and cut outing for the Malaysia Knife Forums.
I found a lot of Dragonflies on the lakeshore of the dam and started working on them with my Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro lens.
Having heard about its limitations, I tried not to be too invasive of my subjects and found working with close-ups truly fun.
The only drawback was the lens' inability to focus up close in autofocus mode.
Maybe this is the apparent problem with the EOS7D's front focusing feature.
Well, yesterday, I had a blast of a time at the backyard of my house taking pictures of weaver ants.
And these lil critters are extremely hard to photograph because they move and the swaying branches where they forage for food didn't help either.
From a series of 50 photographs, I managed to select only two shots that stands out from the rest.
I guess its time to go back to the drawing board and see if an EF life-size converter can do the job.


But there is a lot left to be desired and with the months ahead, I can surely look forward to more bug shots.

No comments: