Monday, July 22, 2013

July 21 Full Moon

  Capturing the moon in its full glory...

I checked my Garmin Fenix GPS watch and it showed a full moon sign.
Shortly before dinner, I can see the moon lit up brightly up in the sky.
This was a good opportunity to capture the lunar landscape with my Canon EF400mm F4.0L and with a 1.4x teleconvertor, I can extend the focal length to 560mm.

At 560mm focal length
70% crop
I spent about 20-minutes capturing the scene on a tripod and cable shutter release.
After making sure that there were no vibrations, I checked the playback of the images and was quite satisfied with the results.

Post-processing...

To get the most out of it, I played with the exposure values and tweaked the contrast on the images.
I wanted to show the moon against a black sky and the contrast on its surface.
By using the Adobe Lightroom 4, I was able to highlight the dark colours on the moon's surface.
With a full-frame body, it was possible to do a 70% crop without losing the clarity of the image.
After sifting through the lot of images, I settled for three frames which I am really happy to show.. 

No comments: