Wednesday, October 19, 2011

An affordable mini-bike Raleigh Compact

The Raleigh Compact
I was in the Bukit Jalil area yesterday and found a bike shop called 'Joo Ngan Pro'.
Went in and saw a mini Velo hanging on the shop's exterior.
This is the first time I saw a branded bike that is priced below RM1K.
The model in question is the Raleigh Compact.
At a price tag of RM570 retail, its one of the cheapest mini-bikes around.
The overall built and quality is acceptable.
Both wheels are 20" and its roughly the size of a folding bike except that it doesn't fold.
The bike has a 6-speed drivetrain which is ample to cover most riding conditions.
If you ditch the components, you can build a nice bike with better parts.
This mini-bike is ideal for beginners who don't want to blow a hole in their pocket...

4 comments:

Seumas Tan said...

My daughter is 10 years old and she is rather keen to learn cycling. I am debating as to whether I should get the Raleigh for her or let her use my XDS while I upgrade to Jet Stream :-) What do you think?

samo said...

Hahah!

Tough question..

Well, better hand her the XDS la..

BTW - Which Jetstream are you getting?

Sam

Seumas Tan said...

I intend to get the same one as Michelle's. I hope of getting one for myself and one for Jennifer. One of your Jet Stream EX can buy two of those! I read somewhere in your earlier post that very few Jet Streams are available in the Malaysian market. That was why my earlier post in the "Wanted" section in the Malaysian Foldies.

samo said...

Ah... Okay Seumas!

Roger that! ;)

On the Jetstreams - yes, fewer than 10 Exs made it to our shores.. Only a few left now.. The P8, ah, here's your chance to sapu the bike while you can!

Sam